Gautama Buddha / गौतम बुद्ध
- Gautama Buddha was born as Siddharta Gautama in Northern India around 563 BC.
- He was the son of Shudhodhan, the king of the Sakya kingdom.
- Siddhartha Gautama was a spiritual teacher in the northern region of the Indian subcontinent who founded Buddhism.
- Gautama, also known as Shakyamuni ("sage of the Shakyas"), is the key figure in Buddhism, and accounts of his life, discourses, and monastic rules are believed by Buddhists to have been summarized after his death and memorized by his followers.
- Various collections of teachings attributed to Gautama were passed down by oral tradition, and first committed to writing about 400 years later.
- In Mathura Museum we can find many world famous Buddha sculptures of Maurya era and Kushan era.
- Ashoka the great was also Buddhist.