|This page is not complete. You can help us to prepare this page.|
Hiranyakashipu / हिरण्यकशिपु
- Name of a Daitya (Daemon) king, son of Kashyap by his wife Diti, and the twin-brother of Hiranyaksh.
- Hiranyakashipu had obtained a boon from Brahma that he should not be slain by either god or man or animal, by night or by day, hence he be-came all-powerful.
- He prohibited his subjects from talking or thinking of Vishnu, who he hated, specially more so after Vishnu had killed his brother Hiranyaksh.
- When, however, his pious son Prahlad praised Vishnu, Hiranyakashipu tried to kill him.
- Vishnu then took on his fourth incarnation. He appeared out of a pillar at twilight, in the form of Narasimha, half man, half lion, and tore Hiranyakashipu to pieces.