Revision as of 06:24, 7 March 2010 by Govind
Kamdhenu / कामधेनु
- Kamdhenu was a cow of Vasishth which satisfied all desires. She is the mother of cattle.
- The authorities vary on the origin and the name of this cow.
- Kamdhenu is sometimes identified with Surbhi.
- Some sources say that Nandini is the daughter of Surbhi, others say that Nandini and Surbhi are one and the same.
- The origin of Kamdhenu or Surbhi is also varied. She is sometimes said to be the daughter of Daksh and at others the daughter of Kashyap by his wife Krodhvasha.
- Rohini and Gandharvi are Surbhi's daughters by her own father Kashyap.
- In other instances, it is said that Kamdhenu was born from the ocean during the Samudramanthan.