Jump to navigation Jump to search
Kurukshetra / कुरूक्षेत्र
- Kurukshetra is a plain near Delhi, where the famous battle of Mahabharat between the Kauravs and Pandavs was fought.
- King Kuru cultivated this land for many years. When asked why, he said, so that all who would die here could attain heaven.
- The gods, frightened that anybody and everybody would attain heaven without having made sacrifices to them, went to Indra.
- They all decided to stop Kuru by granting him a boon. Indra then came to see Kuru at Kurukshetra.
- They came to an agreement that Kuru would toil no more, and only those who died at Kurukshetra, having abstained from food, or died here in battle, would attain heaven.