Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This page is not complete. You can help us to prepare this page.|
Rahu / राहु
- Rahu was a demon, son of Kashyap by his wife Sinhika, and was also known by his metronymic Sainhikey.
- When the gods obtained nectar during the Samudramanthan, Rahu assumed the form of a god, and mingling himself amongst them, drank some of the Amrit.
- Surya and Som discovered him and informed Vishnu.
- The latter chopped of the head of the demon with the Sudarshan Chakra, but Rahu did not die on account of elixir of immortality that he had consumed.
- The head and the torso remained alive and came to be known as Rahu and Ketu respectively.
- Rahu and Ketu are considered among the nine main planets.
- They occasionally wreak their vengeance on the sun and moon by swallowing them, which accounts for the solar and lunar eclipses.
- And as the head is severed from the torso, the sun and moon escape and that is why they are visible after the eclipse is over.
- Rahu had a son named Meghhas.