Sakshi Gopal Temple
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sakshi Gopal Temple / साक्षी गोपाल का मन्दिर
- West of the Shri Govind Deo Temple are the ruins of the Sakshi Gopal Temple. This ancient deity of Gopal went to Vidyanagar to act as a witness (sakshi).
- Shri Chaitanya Charitamrita narrates the amazing story of Shri Gopalji, who is loving to His devotees (bhakta-vatsala).
- In this case, this refers to an older and a younger brahmana. Upon arriving at Vidyanagar, Shri Gopalji testified before the assembled people.
- He said, "The older brahmana was very pleased with the service of the younger brahmana, and promised to give his daughter in marriage to him.
- I am the witness to this statement." In time, this deity went to Shri Jagannath Puri and is now present in Satyavadipura, about twelve miles from Puri.
- Now, Satyavadipura is famous by the name of Sakshi Gopal. Since then, the temple of Sakshi Gopal in Vrindavan has been deserted, and today only its ruins remain.