|This page is not complete. You can help us to prepare this page.|
Shurpnakha / शूर्पणखा
- Shurpnakha was a Rakshasi, daughter of Vishrava by his wife Kaikasi and sister of Ravan, Kumbhakarn and Vibhishan.
- Shurpnakha, while wandering in the forest, came across Ram, Lakshman and Sita, who, being exiled, were residing at Panchvati.
- On seeing Ram, she fell in love with him. Ram rejected her advances and referred her to Lakshman.Lakshman sent her back to Ram.
- Enraged at being rejected by both of them, Shurpnakha attacked Sita, upon which Lakshman cut off her nose and ears and sent her scurrying.
- Shurpnakha went to her cousin brothers Khar and Dushan, who attacked Ram at Panchvati, but were destroyed by the latter.
- Shurpnakha then repaired to Ravan. She praised the beauty of Sita and thus instigated Ravan into kidnapping Sita, which finally led to the Ram-Ravan battle.
- Shurpnakha was married to Vidyujjihva and was the mother of a son named Shambhu.
Ahalya · Rama · Bharat · Laxman · Shatrughna · Dashrath · Kaushalya · Kaikeyi · Sumitra · Shurpnakha · Janak · Sita · Ravana · Urmila · Meghnad · Vibhishan · Angad · Hanuman · Kumbhakarn · Marich · Mandodari · Vasishtha · Vishvamitra · Bali · Sugriva · Sampati · Jambvan · Manthara · Jatayu · Shabri · Lanka · Neel · Nal · Panchvati · Lav Kush · Tadka