Jump to navigation Jump to search
Vishvakarma / विश्वकर्मा
- Vishvakarma is the Hindu presiding deity of all craftsmen and architects.
- He is the "Principal Universal Architect", the architect who fabricated and designed the divine architecture of the Universe , the Lord of Creation.
- He was the son of the Vasu Prabhas by his wife Varastri.
- Vishvakarma had three daughters, Barhishmati, Surupa and Sangya.
- The monkey named Nal was his son.
- He was created to assist Ram, the incarnation of Vishnu, in destroying the Rakshas race.
- Vishvakarma married his two daughters, Barhishmati and Surupa to king Priyvrat.
- His daughter Sangya was married to Surya, but as she was incapable of tolerating the sun's brilliance, Vishvakarma cut away an eighth part of his radiance.
- With these fragments of the sun's effulgence, Vishvakarma created the Pushpakviman, the Sudarshan Chakra, the trident of Shiv and the weapon Shakti of Kartikey.
- On Kuber's request, Vishvakarma built a beautiful palace in Lanka for the former.
- Vishvakarma also made the thunderbolt of Indra from the bones of sage Dadhichi. At Shiv's command, he built for the deity a splendid chariot which was used in the burning of Tripur.